9 Best WordPress Popup Plugins of 2021 (Expert Comparison)
Are you looking for the best WordPress popup plugins to use on your website? Is one of your key goals to turn site website visitors into loyal subscribers or paying customers?
WordPress popup plugins are an excellent way to drive more eCommerce sales and newsletter signups on your site. Why? Because they grab people’s attention and encourage them to take action.
In this article, we’ll explore the best WordPress popup plugins on the market. What’s more, our expert comparison covers what you should look for in the best popup makers for WordPress.
Challengers for The Best WordPress Popup Plugin
Before we get started, let’s take a look at the contenders for the best popup plugin for WordPress:
Why Do You Need a Popup Plugin?
You might wonder why you even need a popup plugin for your website. The truth is, WordPress popup plugins do a lot more than capture the sign-up information of your visitors.
Quality popup makers have advanced targeting features that let you target a specific audience. They also integrate with the most popular email marketing services like Mailchimp to build your subscriber list.
And, speaking of email marketing services, some still don’t have their own method of adding pop-ups to your website. So, to have this feature, you’d need a WordPress popup plugin anyway.
Still not convinced? The following businesses got great results using WordPress popup plugins:
- Bonjour Lisbonne doubled their email subscribers with an exit-intent popup.
- Flywheel increased engagement by 660% using page-level targeting.
- Cosmetic Captial increase leads by 300% using a floating bar optin.
Lastly, most generic forms are unattractive and lack customization options. The best popup plugins provide pre-built templates and ways to personalize your forms.
With all this in mind, how do you choose the best WordPress plugin to make beautiful popups that are perfect for your needs?
How to Choose The Best WordPress Popup Plugin?
When figuring out which WordPress popup plugin to use, look for solutions with the following features:
- An interface that’s easy-to-use and understand.
- Drag and drop popup builders to make designing simple.
- A wide array of pre-built popup templates.
- Customizable triggers like exit-intent and on-click to launch your popup when visitors take action.
- Easy integration with your favorite email newsletter service to build your list.
- Great customer support that will help you out when you need it.
Before making your choice, it’s important to consider the pitfalls of using popup forms on your site. While they’re excellent for converting site visitors, they can also irritate them too.
Poorly executed triggers can leave visitors closing pop-ups on every page they visit. And, you definitely don’t want to show pop-ups to visitors if they’ve already signed up.
The best exit-intent popup plugins for WordPress track your visitor’s movements and trigger only when they’re about to leave. In addition, quality pop-ups have conditions that prevent them from displaying if a visitor’s already closed it.
Avoid disgruntled visitors by choosing a WordPress popup plugin that looks great, has many features, and controls how your pop-ups display.
With that said, let’s dive in and take a look at the best WordPress popup solutions in more detail.
OptinMonster is the best WordPress exit popup plugin on the market. Its powerful lead generation software is used by millions of site owners across the globe, making it the best-rated popup maker around.
With its signature Exit-Intent® technology, it helps you convert visitors about to abandon your site into paying customers and subscribers with the help of beautiful website popups.
OptinMonster also includes page-level targeting, so you can add different popup forms to different pages on your website. For example, you can create popups for your blog and different ones for your WooCommerce store.
Put simply, it’s the best website popup plugin on the market.
- Exit-Intent® – Convert visitors into leads when they’re about to abandon your site with a targeted campaign using exit popups with exit-intent triggers, opt-in forms, subscription forms, and more.
- Ease of use – The drag and drop popup builder is easy to use even for beginners and has plenty of ways to customize your design.
- Popup templates – Choose professional pre-built templates and popup themes with no coding needed, with the help of inline boxes, overlays, and more, or start from scratch.
- MonsterEffects™️ – Over 26 attention-grabbing sound effects and animations to customize your popup.
- Campaign types – Choose from many campaign types including, full-screen welcome mats, WordPress floating popups, countdown timers, in-line, scrolling, and sidebar forms.
- Spin to win – Use a discount wheel popup to increase conversions in a fun, eye-catching way.
- Advanced targeting – Use page-level targeting and advanced display rules like geolocation, referrer detection, and more.
- Multi-site use – OptinMonster lets you use one account for multiple websites.
- Analytics tracking – Use analytics tracking to create goals in Google Analytics.
- Customer support – Gain access to amazing customer support from an expert support team who are always happy to help.
- Seamless integration – Integrates with popular marketing services like AWeber, Constant Contact, and more.
- Customization – You can easily connect any popup to HTML forms by pasting your custom code and personalizing them using your own CSS.
- No free version – OptinMonster doesn’t offer a free version. But, with the wide array of features included, it’s worth considering as an option. That said, it includes a super-handy free WordPress plugin to add your popups to WordPress easily.
For more details check out our OptinMonster review here.
How Much Does OptinMonster Cost?
The price of OptinMonster ranges from $9 – $49 per month (billed annually).
Pro Tip: OptinMonster’s popup pages for WordPress use a stunning lightbox effect. Learn more about WordPress lightbox plugins here.
TrustPulse is the most powerful social proof app on the market, which is why we’ve included it on our list. Recent sales popup notifications are all the rage right now because they’re a wildly effective way of increasing revenue through sales.
Social proof pop-ups like TrustPulse, help increase trust in your site. Visitors can see proof of other people buying products in real-time through sleek notifications. What’s more, it generates the fear of missing out (FOMO) in people who haven’t taken action yet.
- Creates urgency – Generate FOMO by creating a sense of urgency with a timely WordPress popup message.
- Real-time tracking – Show a live stream of action on your website, including email signups, purchases, and more, in a discreet popup notification.
- “On Fire” notifications – Show how many people are taking action in a given period which is great for FOMO.
- Smart targeting – Show social proof notifications to the right people at the right time with advanced targeting and timing rules.
- Flexible design – Create customized and attractive pop-ups designed to convert.
- Multiple platform support – Use on popular platforms like WordPress, Shopify, Drupal, Squarespace, and more.
- Limited sessions for the free version – The free version of TrustPulse is limited to 500 sessions per month. Increasing this limit and getting access to advanced features is affordable.
How Much Does TrustPulse Cost?
The price of TrustPulse ranges from free – $350+ per month (billed annually).
For even more details, take a look at our TrustPulse review.
Bloom is a responsive popup WordPress plugin made by Elegant Themes. If you’re already a customer of Elegant Themes, you won’t need to buy the plugin separately, as it’s bundled in with your yearly subscription.
Bloom allows you to build a WordPress pop-up box from right from your WordPress dashboard. This saves you from switching to a different site to configure your plugin. Plus, it works seamlessly with their popular WordPress themes.
- Pre-built templates – Choose from 100’s of stylish WordPress popup templates to save you from starting from scratch and make use of WordPress shortcodes.
- Custom dashboard – Use a custom panel in your WordPress dashboard to view popup conversion rates, reports, and more.
- A/B split testing – Compare different popup versions so you can decide which converts best.
- Bundled with Elegant Themes – A cost-effective approach if you’re considering using one of their themes, like Divi.
- Multiple campaign types – choose one of 6 campaign types, including pop-ups, side popups that fly in, and WordPress popup widget opt-ins.
- No visual customizer – You’ll need to click on the preview button to view the changes you make on your form.
- Targeting – Bloom only offers basic targeting options.
- Speed – Bloom isn’t speed-optimized, so it could potentially slow down your WordPress website and impact users’ experience.
How Much Does Bloom Cost?
The price of Bloom is $89 for one year or $249 for lifetime access.
Elementor Pro is a well-known website builder for WordPress. Yet, what many people don’t realize is that it also works as a WordPress popover plugin. So if you want a user-friendly visual builder with tons of design options, Elementor Pro is a good choice.
- Page builder addon: This is great if you’re already using Elementor to design your site.
- Popup templates: Pre-built popup templates make it easy to get started quickly.
- Flexibility: Lots of customization and design options for popup forms, login forms, and more.
- Integrations: Connects to various email marketing services.
- Split testing: There is no option to A/B split test your popups.
- Analytics: Elementor Pro doesn’t include popup analytics.
How Much Does Elementor Pro Cost?
The pricing for Elementor Pro starts at $49 per year.
5. Thrive Leads
Thrive Leads is another popular WordPress popup form plugin that lets you create professional newsletter popups in WordPress. This plugin is by Thrive Themes, a company specializing in conversion-focused WordPress themes.
Thrive Leads removes the need for multiple plugins, claiming to be the all-in-one solution for generating leads. And, it works seamlessly with other Thrive products, should you use them.
- One-time payment – You can buy Thrive Leads with a single payment, removing the need for a recurring subscription.
- A/B testing – Use split testing to compare popup types and decide which converts better for your visitors.
- Advanced analytics – Get detailed information about your list-building efforts along with conversion rates, and form analytics.
- Drag and drop design – Design your pop-ups with a drag and drop builder removing the need to code.
- Speed – Thrive Leads is a bulky plugin, and with a plugin of this size, it could impact your site speed.
- Ease of use – There’s a steep learning curve to using Thrive Leads, making it tricky for beginners to get to grips with straight away.
How Much Does Thrive Leads Cost?
The price of Thrive Leads ranges from $67 – $147.
Sumo hits the ground running as one of the best WordPress popup plugins because it’s an inexpensive option. A standalone solution, it lets you build clean pop-ups for your site with ease.
Sumo isn’t a one-trick pony either. It offers several other features, including heatmaps, social sharing, and more.
- Free – It doesn’t cost a thing to use limited features, which is great if you’re on a budget. But, the blue notification bar it displays on your site can be off-putting for visitors.
- Pop-ups by traffic source – Sumo offers the ability to create pop-ups based on where your visitors come from and how they got to your site. This, however, is a paid option.
- Pre-designed templates – Choose from several pre-made templates based on your specific goals. You’ll need to upgrade to use this option.
- Extra tools – As mentioned above, Sumo comes with other tools to help your website, including scroll boxes, social sharing buttons, and more.
- Features are limited – Sumo lacks important targeting features and more specialized options for its pop-ups.
- Expensive to upgrade – The best features are bundled into its paid version, which is troublesome for limited budgets.
- Traffic limits – Sumo’s pricing model charges more if you have more traffic, limiting some people.
- Expensive – The best features are included in the premium version, so if you’re looking for an inexpensive solution with lots of features, Sumo might not be the one for you.
How Much Does Sumo Cost?
The Price of Sumo ranges from free – $39 per month (billed annually).
Icegram is a newer WordPress popup plugin that helps you build email opt-ins and pop-ups for your website.
Alongside creating pop-ups, this plugin lets you make Call To Action (CTA) buttons. CTAs are great for driving traffic to a specific page or URL, including affiliate links, which, helps to drive sales.
- No traffic limit – Unlike other popup plugins, Icegram doesn’t have a traffic limit, so even if you get loads of traffic, you’ll be fine.
- Security – Includes quality and security checks to prevent spam and hacker attacks.
- Cost – Icegram is a free-to-use plugin with optional add-ons you can buy, making it an inexpensive option.
- Targeting limits – Icegram has only basic targeting, so you’re missing out on advanced features that could get you more conversions.
- Unattractive templates – While this plugin does have a range of built-in templates, they’re not as attractive as you’d get with a paid-for plugin.
- Poor user experience – The interface of Icegram is difficult to use. There’s no drag and drop builder, which makes it hard to create even a simple popup.
How Much Does Icegram Cost?
The price of Icegram is free. You can try the plugin by downloading it from WordPress.org. You can also try optional add-ons ranging in price from $7 – £27.
8. Popup Maker
Popup Maker is a popular free WordPress lightbox popup plugin. Like OptinMonster, it has a wide range of opt-in types, including sticky pop-ups and slide-ins.
You can create unlimited pop-ups with this popup subscribe plugin for WordPress. Plus, you can customize them to your specific needs before publishing them on your site.
- Free plugin – Popup Maker is free to download and use, along with its extensive features.
- Integrates with form builders – Easily integrate your pop-ups with form builders and form plugins like WPForms, and Contact Form 7.
- Triggers – Add click-based triggers to navigation menus, buttons, and more.
- Conditional targeting – Control where you display your pop-ups by targeting specific content like certain pages and posts.
- Analytics – In the free version of Popup Maker, you’re not able to see the analytics of your popup campaigns.
- Exit Popups for WordPress – To use the exit-intent feature, you’d have to upgrade to a paid version of the plugin.
- Advanced targeting – Again, to access more advanced targeting features, you’d have to upgrade to a paid version.
How Much Does Popup Maker Cost?
The price of Popup Maker ranges from free – $16 per month (billed annually) for the extensions bundle.
Last on our list of the best popup plugins for WordPress sites is Popup Builder. This plugin lets you create unlimited pop-ups with a wide range of effects and themes.
An interesting feature is the scroll popup option that loads when visitors scroll down your website. Plus, it lets you enable sounds for notifications to alert your site visitors better.
- Free – There’s a whole heap of features this plugin offers that are free to use.
- Drag and drop builder – Popup Builder includes support for drag and drop page builders to make it easier to design your pop-ups.
- Multisite support – You can use this plugin on all your sub-sites thanks to support for the WordPress multisite network.
- WPML compatible – Because this plugin is compatible with the WordPress Multilingual Plugin (WPML), you can add pop-ups in any language.
- Social pop-ups – To leverage your pop-ups for social media, you’ll need to upgrade to a paid version of the plugin.
- Exit popup – Popup Builder lacks an exit-intent popup, so you won’t be able to target visitors about to leave your website.
- Money-back guarantee – Sadly, there is no money-back guarantee offered with this plugin which limits your options.
How Much Does Popup Builder Cost?
The price of Popup Builder ranges from $59.95 – $249.95 billed annually.
Comparison of the Best WordPress Popup Plugins
To give you a clearer overview of the best plugins we’ve covered, here’s a quick comparison table.
|Plugin name||Exit-intent?||Advanced targeting||Optimized speed?||Reporting?||Price|
$9 – $49 p/m
$0 – $350+ p/m
|Elementor Pro||✔️||✔️||✔️||❌||$49 p/y|
$67 – $147
$0 – $39 p/m
$7 – $27
$0 – $16 p/m
$59.95 – $249.94 p/y
What is the Best Popup Plugin For WordPress?
If you haven’t decided which is the best popup plugin for WordPress, then OptinMonster would get our vote.
Considering how many features you get for such a wallet-friendly price, it makes a lot of sense. It’s also the best exit-intent popup plugin for WordPress sites by a mile, which means no more visitors abandoning your site without the opportunity to take action.
If you can’t afford to shell out for a popup plugin, we’d suggest giving TrustPulse a try. It has all the basic features you need in a popup plugin and won’t cost a dime.
So there you have it!
We hope our comparison of the best WordPress popup plugins has helped you figure out the right choice for you. Now you can grow your email list and generate more sales with ease.
And to get you started, here’s how to create an exit-intent popup in WordPress.