Last updated on: March 20, 2020
Do you want to learn how to add contact forms in WordPress?
It makes sense that as a site owner you’ll want people to be able to contact you easily. But it’s hard to decide the best way to do this without confusing your visitors.
Don’t worry! In this article, we’re showing you how to create a contact form in WordPress. And we’ll break it down step-by-step so even beginners can do it.
Why you Should Add Contact Forms in WordPress
When you’re building your site, you might wonder if it’s better to use your email address instead of a contact form. But the truth is contact forms offer your visitors more flexibility in how they get in touch. Even better contact forms let you make certain information a requirement. And that’s something you can’t do with a simple email address.
Let’s look at at a few more things you can do with a powerful contact form:
- Information control. With contact forms, you have control over the information collected through your website. And this limits the number of emails sent back and forth.
- Easy communication. Adding contact forms make it easy for people to get in touch. As well as making it easier for them to send ideas, comments, and questions.
- Message organization. Most contact forms include subject lines which helps you know who is sending you messages.
- Increased security. Contact forms hide your email address so spammers can’t send unwanted messages.
As you can see, adding a contact form instead of displaying an email address is a smart choice. So let’s look at how to create your first one.
Before we get started, here’s a quick run-down of the steps involved to add a contact form to WordPress:
- Download the WPForms WordPress plugin.
- Create a simple contact form.
- Define the general settings of your form.
- Set the notification settings for your form.
- Configure your confirmation messages.
- Publish the contact form to your website.
Let’s get to it!
How to Add Your First Contact Form
For this guide, we’ll use the WPForms form builder to create a contact form.
WPForms is the most beginner-friendly contact form plugin on the market and it’s super easy setup. Unlike similar plugins like Jetpack and Contact Form 7, it has heaps of features to enhance your forms.
Here’s a look at the extra options you get when upgrading to the paid version:
- WPForms Pro lets you use the plugin on more than one website which is great if you have many sites.
- Build multiple form types including multi-page forms, payment forms, email subscription forms, and more.
- View form submissions in your WordPress admin and get email notifications of new messages.
- The surveys and polls addon offers a nifty survey solution and comes with real-time WordPress polls, star ratings, and Likert scales. This means you won’t need to take out extra subscriptions for survey platforms if you want to add a survey to your website.
- Create distraction-free form pages in WordPress using the WPForms landing page solution.
- All forms work with popular email marketing services and payment platforms like MailChimp, Stripe, and PayPal.
What’s more, WPForms is used on over 3 million websites. Plus they also have a loyal following in the WordPress community. So take a look at the WPForms user reviews from WordPress.org here.
Now let’s move on to the first step in adding a contact form to your WordPress site.
Step by Step
Step 1. Download the WPForms WordPress Plugin
The first step is to grab a copy of WPForms, then download the plugin to your computer.
Then once you’ve created your WPForms account, head to the WPForms login page. Here you can access your account dashboard and click View License Key, Details, and Downloads.
You’ll then be taken to the page that has your license key details and the link to download the plugin.
Now click the Download WPForms button. Then save your license key to a notepad for use later.
Now add and activate the plugin in your WordPress dashboard. For instructions on how to install WordPress plugins see this handy guide for beginners.
Step 2. Create a Simple Contact Form
With WPForms installed and activated on your site, it’s time to add your first contact form. To do this go to WPForms » Add New to create a new form.
On the following screen enter your form name and click the Simple Contact Form template.
WPForms automatically creates a simple contact form for you. And it includes the following default form fields:
- Name – The first and last names of visitors submitting the form.
- Email – Your visitor’s email address is required by default.
- Comment or Message – A space for visitors to enter their queries.
- Submit – The submit button that sends the message to you.
From here it’s easy to add an extra form field by dragging it from the left-hand panel to the right. And if you’d like to make any field a requirement for users to fill in.
Alongside this, you can click on any field to edit the name, include a description, and more. You can even click and drag fields to rearrange the order of your contact form.
Then under the Advanced Options heading, you can edit the following preferences:
- Field Size – Set the size of form fields to either small, medium, or large.
- Placeholder – Add placeholder text for the first and last name fields.
- Hide Label – Hide form field labels and sub-labels from the end-user.
- Layouts – Choose a custom layout for your form without using any code.
When you’re happy with your customizations click Save.
Now we’ll move on to defining your forms’ general settings.
Step 3. Define the General Settings of Your Form
To define the general settings of your form go to Settings » General.
In this section you can configure the following settings:
- Form Name – Rename your form if you’d like to call it something different.
- Form Description – Give the name a description to help you remember what it’s for.
- Submit Button Text – Change the label for the submit button.
- Spam Prevention – Prevent spam bot submissions by enabling the anti-spam honeypot feature.
- GDPR Compliance – You can disable storing entry information in WordPress such as IP addresses and user agents to help you comply with GDPR.
When you’re happy with these settings click Save.
We’ll look at adding form notifications next.
Step 4. Set the Notification Settings for Your Form
Setting notifications for your contact form is a good way to get an alert when someone submits a form on your site. However, if you don’t disable this feature you’ll get a notification every time someone submits a form.
You can use smart tags in WPForms to send site visitors an alert when they complete a contact form. This lets them know you’ve received their form and assures them their message has gone through.
To learn more about setting up notifications and confirmations in WordPress, please see the documentation.
With your notifications all set, let’s look at how to configure your form confirmations.
Step 5. Configure Your Confirmation Messages
A confirmation message is a short note displayed to site visitors after they’ve submitted a form on your contact page. It’s a way of letting them know their message has gone through and gives you a chance to tell them what their next steps are.
In WPForms there are 3 confirmation message types to choose from:
- Message – This confirmation type is the default option allowing you to show a quick message letting visitors know their form was submitted.
- Show Page – The Show Page type takes visitors to a specific page on your website like a thank you page after they submit a form.
- Go to URL (Redirect) – This option can be used if you want to send visitors to a different website.
To set your confirmation message click on Settings » Confirmation. Then choose the type of confirmation you’d like. For this guide, we’ll select Message.
Now enter the message you’d like your visitors to see and click Save.
The exciting part is next which is publishing your form on your website!
Step 6. Add the Contact Form to Your Website
With your contact form created, it’s time to add it to WordPress.
By using WPForms you can add a form to almost anywhere on your website such as pages, blog posts, and even as a widget in your sidebar.
The most common choice is to embed the contact form in a post or page. You can use a shortcode or content block which we’ll explain how to do now.
First, create a new blog post or page and click the plus icon to add a new WordPress block.
Then type WPForms into the block search bar, and the WPForms block will appear. Click it to add it to your post.
Next, choose your contact form from the dropdown list provided and the form will be added to your WordPress post.
Now all you need to do is publish your post or page for the form to appear live on your website.
Adding a Contact Form to Your Sidebar
WPForms also makes it pretty easy to add a contact form into the sidebar of your website. The plugin comes with a built-in contact form widget which you can drag and drop into any widget-ready area of WordPress.
To do this yourself, head to Appearance » Widgets from your WordPress admin area.
Here you’ll see the WPForms widget that you can drag and drop to your sidebar. Alternatively, click the widget and select a sidebar from the list of options. Then click Add Widget.
When you’ve done that, give the widget a title, choose your form from the dropdown list, and click Save.
Here’s how it will look live on your site.
You’ve now successfully learned how to add contact forms in WordPress so your visitors can contact you with ease and you’ll never miss a message. Wasn’t it easy?
Looking for some more great ways to extend the functionality of your website? Our definitive guide to the best WordPress plugins is sure to have some ideas for you.