Last updated on: February 12, 2020
How much do you REALLY know about your website visitors?
Do you know how they navigate your website? Which pages they love the most? And do they even like the pages they visit?
If you don’t have Google Analytics on your WordPress site, then you won’t be able to answer those questions.
Google Analytics helps you keep track of your visitors’ engagement on your website. It provides valuable data with which you can improve the user experience of your website.
But implementing Google Analytics or any other analytical tool on your WordPress website can be a bit tricky. Which is why a lot of users search for the best Google Analytics WordPress plugin. It helps you in integrating the tool on your website and also helps you with analyzing your visitor’s behavior so that you can optimize your website better.
There are lots of plugins available for WordPress analytics online, but they’re not all created equal. Trust us when we say this, you don’t want to install a plugin that might hinder with your website’s performance.
We have shortlisted some of the best plugins available online and in this article we will list down and review the best Google Analytics plugins for WordPress.
Best Google Analytics WordPress Plugins
- GA Google Analytics
- Enhanced Ecommerce Google Analytics
- Google Analytics by 10Web
- WP Google Analytics Events
- WP Statistics
Price: Free | Premium: $99.50/ year
We rate MonsterInsights as the best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress and for good reason! MonsterInsights is the most powerful and complete WordPress analytics plugin out there. It provides great value because of its seamless integration and awesome features.
For starters, MonsterInsights allows you to implement Google Analytics on your website without touching a single line of code. It also enables you to check your performance reports right from your WordPress analytics dashboard. Best of all, you can easily start using more advanced Google Analytics tracking features without having to customize your tracking code like you usually would.
From audience metrics to behavior metrics, MonsterInsights shows all the data that you need to make smart decisions to grow your business.
MonsterInsights WordPress Plugin Features
- View your website’s traffic details from the WordPress dashboard
- Get the detailed demographics report of your visitors
- See the complete visitor’s journey from how they found your website to what makes them convert
- Unlock event tracking which helps you in finding out whether your CTA (call-to-action) is being clicked or not
- Get GDPR-compliant with the help of its EU Compliance add-on
- Track your form views, form submissions and form conversion rate
- Integrate with Google Ads to show you ad campaign data in your dashboard
These were some of the attractive features of MonsterInsights. If you want, you can check out their complete features on their features page.
MonsterInsights is a goliath when compared to other WordPress plugins for Google Analytics. You simply can’t go wrong with it. Its free to use but if you decide to get its premium version it will only cost you $99.50/year.
To get started with MonsterInsights, click here!
ExactMetrics is our 2nd favorite Google Analytics plugin. It has over 1 million downloads which speaks volumes about its popularity. Just like MonsterInsights, this plugin allows you to easily integrate Google Analytics on your website with a single click.
It enables you to view all the data from your WordPress dashboard. ExactMetrics is completely free but it does not support integrations with other plugins like WooCommerce, Google Ads, Google Adsense and others.
Despite its few limitations ExactMetrics is an awesome Google Analytics plugin for WordPress especially if you are solely looking for a free option.
- Track your visitors from your WordPress dashboard. You can view details like bounce rate, page views, organic searches, mobile site data and referral data.
- Track events on your desktop site and on your AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) site.
- Get real time stats which includes number of visitors, traffic sources and acquisition channels from your WordPress dashboard.
- Optimize your pages with the help of the detailed reports of each page and posts.
- Track affiliate links, downloads and form submissions.
You can check out their features page for more information. ExactMetrics may not be as feature rich as MonsterInsights but it is still a great WordPress analytics plugin and gets the job done.
Click here to get started with ExactMetrics!
Price: Free | Premium: $15 one-off
GA Google Analytics is a simple light-weight GDPR-compliant plugin. Its main purpose is to help you add the Google Analytics tracking code on every page of your website. It won’t display any data or insights like the other plugins but it does its job well. This plugin is ideal for those who know how to extract all the data you need from Google Analytics and just want to implement the basic Google Analytics tracking code on every page of their website without any extra data or stats in your WordPress dashboard.
GA Google Analytics Plugin Features
- Lets you easily implement the Google Analytics tracking code on your website.
- Gives visitors the option to opt-out of sharing their data. You won’t be able to track the users who opt-out.
- Configures multiple tracking codes to help you track your links better.
- Disables tracking for users that are logged in the admin area.
Price: Free | Premium: $39/year
Analytify is a popular freemium analytics plugin for WordPress. You can easily integrate Google Analytics on your website with just one click. Analytify has 2 million downloads which is proof enough that this plugin is popular with the WordPress community.
The only drawback is that its free version is fairly limited and if you want to get a hold of all of the features you will have to buy the premium version.
Plus, it’s missing more advanced features that MonsterInsights has like WordPress category tracking, affiliate link tracking, file download tracking, and more.
Analytify Plugin Features
- Analytify allows you to track real time visitors from your WordPress dashboard. You can also get the reports of individual pages, posts and custom types.
- It supports a lot of addons if you go for the premium versions. You can get addons for tracking WooCommerce sales, Easy Digital Downloads and UTM campaign tracking.
- Analytify sends automated reports of your site’s general statistics to your assigned email address.
Price: Free | Premium: $135 one-off
This plugin can be a good choice for people who are running their online stores and need a plugin that specializes in tracking their WooCommerce store’s performance.
Enhanced Ecommerce Google Analytics plugin is specially designed for ecommerce sites. This plugin offers the most detailed insight about customer behavior, product and sales statistics. But just like Analytify, if you really want to use this plugin to its full potential you will have to get the premium version.
Enhanced Ecommerce Google Analytics Plugin Features
- Helps you track product clicks, impressions, add to cart events and more.
- Sends performance and behavior reports of shopping, checkouts, products and sales.
- Helps you easily optimize your pages based on the data it provides by integrating itself with Google Analytics ecommerce tracking feature.
Price: Free | Premium: starts at $30
Just like MonsterInsights, Google Analytics by 10Web also offers integration with Google Ads and Adsense. This gives you important data about your ad campaigns along with your general site’s data in the same dashboard.
Google Analytics by 10Web Features:
- Allows you to set goals and manage goals from your admin area
- Integrates Google Adsense and Google Ads which helps you in exporting their data in your dashboard
- Downloads all the analytical reports in CSV format.
- Tracks ecommerce sales, shows custom notification on triggers and generates custom tracking codes with its ecommerce analytics feature.
Price: Free | Premium: starts at $79/year
To be clear, WP Google Analytics Events isn’t the typical Google Analytics plugin. It won’t show you your site’s data but it is an amazing plugin to track events that occur on your website. You can easily setup events and observe the behavior of your visitors. You can track the number of clicks your CTA (call to action) gets, how far did the visitor scrolled down on your page, track affiliate links, and form submissions.
The only drawback is that it is a little complicated to set up, you will need additional knowledge on how event tracking works.
WP Google Analytics Events Features
- Helps you track links and form submissions.
- Compares the performance of two different CTAs on your page.
- Helps you set up custom events.
- Allows you to track YouTube and Vimeo videos if you use the premium version of the plugin.
WP Statistics is a powerful but a simple WordPress analytics plugin that helps you track all your visitors activity on your WordPress dashboard. This plugin is good with geographical and content reports. Along with that, it also shows you real time website metrics. And the best part is that you can get all of these features for free!
This is not a Google Analytics plugin but it has its own advantage. With WP Statistics you won’t have to configure Google Analytics and your website’s data won’t be shared with anyone. This is possible because WP Statistics tracks and keeps all the data on your WordPress site, it won’t share it with anyone but you. This also increases your backup size but you can delete the old data from time to time to keep the storage costs manageable.
WP Statistics Features
- Helps you view all of the stats from your WordPress dashboard.
- Tracks redirects coming in from search engines like Google, Bing and Yandex.
- Allows you to filter data anyway you want. You can filter it by location, browser versions, keywords, IPs and more.
- Emails you all the statistics of your WordPress website to keep you updated at all times.
Matomo is a Google Analytics alternative. One big difference between Matomo and Google Analytics is that Matomo does not share their data if you opt out of it. If you are running a website that advocates privacy then this plugin could be a good option for you.
Matomo has all the basic functionality of an analytical plugin, it allows you to track your visitors on your website. It works the same as Google Analytics as it also shows you the detailed reports on traffic sources, keywords, geo-locations and other metrics.
The WordPress plugin helps you in adding the tracking code on your website after which you can easily view the reports from your WordPress dashboard. You can try Matomo for free but if you want to keep your user tracking feature you will have to eventually get the pro version.
- Gives you real time stats of your website which you can view on your WordPress dashboard.
- Supports heatmaps, session recording, A/B testing and Form analytics.
- Helps in making your website GDPR compliant.
- Adds the tracking code on your website with the help of Matomo’s WordPress plugin.
Final Words: Which is the Best Google Analytics Plugin for WordPress?
After carefully analyzing the top Google Analytics WordPress plugins in our list we have concluded that MonsterInsights is the best WordPress plugin for Google Analytics. It has an excellent free version and a comprehensive premium version. With its huge list of features, MonsterInsights makes optimizing your website very easy. But don’t take our word for it, you can try MonsterInsights out yourself right now. Once you start using it you will never want to switch to another plugin again.
We hope our article on the best Google Analytics Plugin was useful. We have listed the best of the best and you can’t go wrong with anyone of the plugins you choose from this list.
If you have any questions or if you think we missed out on a few good plugins then do let us know in the comments below.